Sunday July 29, 2018
1 Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. 2 Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. 3 Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace. 4 For there is one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future.
5 There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 one God and Father of all,
who is over all, in all, and living through all.
Everyone always wonders what they are called to do or what their purpose is. The calling described here in Ephesians is more of an invitation. It’s an invitation from God to follow Him. It’s an invitation because we have free will to choose whether we RSVP to this calling. There is no obligation involved.
Among us, we find a persons calling to be what they do for “work”. We wonder what God’s plan is for our lives. What is His will for me? What purpose does He have for me life? Most of us, including myself, are still somewhat unsure. There are a few ways to help make this more clear.
Father Burke Masters is a priest back in my home town who has been spreading the Gospel throughout the world. He has a blog that I model mine similarly after and admire greatly. These are some tips he has given me to find God’s will for my life.
- Grow in holiness – become more like Jesus every day.
- Pray constantly – ask God to make His will clear, and listen.
- Find a spiritual director – someone with wisdom to keep you on the right path.
- Go to church – this gives us a chance to listen and learn about Him more.
- Read the Bible – this is how we learn about who Jesus really was.
- Read books – find a book about Jesus that interests you. (Loves Does – Bob Goff)
- Surround yourself with community – we need people to struggle with.
I know this seems like a lot, but if you and I do even a few of these consistently, I have no doubt Jesus will begin to reveal amazing plans for our life.
What has God called you to do recently?
How can I begin to intentionally set away time to learn God’s calling for my life?
Dear Lord, help us not to worry about our calling in life and focus more on you. For we know it is through you we have been called and it is through you our calling will be revealed. Amen.
Have a great day!